Lauren Oliver Shares Her Thoughts on Writing

Lauren Oliver, the author of Before I Fall, has some great tips for writers posted on her blog. As someone who is toying with the idea of writing a novel I really enjoyed reading this piece. Writing every day is something I struggle with and it was nice to know that even published writers have to set goals for themselves.

I love this particular quote from Lauren:

“First and foremost, I want to get something out of the way. Nobody writes novels. People write pages, word counts, chapters. If you sit down and think about writing a whole novel, it’s incredibly daunting; however, if you just try to write a page a day, it becomes manageable. It’s like running a marathon. You don’t think about the whole distance; you just worry about putting one foot in front of the other.”

I think keeping this in mind is crucial for a beginning writer such as myself. Lauren attempts to write 1,000 words a day. I am considering setting a goal for myself as well, but I don’t know that I could bust out 1,000.

Lauren also suggests keeping a notebook with you at all times to record thoughts and ideas as they come to you.

You can check out Lauren’s entire post over on her blog.

Comments