In Other Words 10/28/11

In Other Words, one of our favorite memes here at Reading Lark, has moved to Fridays. Each Friday we bring you a collection of literary quotes selected by our awesome blog team centered around a different theme or topic. Enjoy - and feel free to share YOUR favorite quote about this week's theme in our comments section!  


This week's topic is...
The Bad Girls

Tevya: 
"There are no good girls gone wrong - just bad girls found out."
― Mae West

"I can't decide whether I'm a good girl wrapped up in a bad girl, or if I'm a bad girl wrapped up in a good girl. And that's how I know I'm a woman!"
― C. JoyBell C.

Andrea: 
"Bellatrix screamed. The spell had knocked her off her feet, but she did not writhe and shriek with the pain as Neville had -- she was already on her feet again, breathless, no longer laughing. Harry dodged behind the garden fountain again -- her counterspell hit the head of the handsome wizard, which was blown off and landed twenty feet away, gouging long scratches into the wooden floor. "

"Never used an Unforgivable Curse before, have you, boy?" she yelled. She had abandoned her baby voice now. "You need to mean them, Potter! You need to really want to cause pain -- to enjoy it -- righteous anger won't hurt me for long -- I'll show you how it is done, shall I? I'll give you a lesson--!"
— J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix)


"Taylor clapped her hands three times for attention. "Ladies! Ladies! My stars! That's enough. Now. We all know Miss Arkansas's girls are fake, miss Ohio's easier than making cereal, and Miss Montana's dress is something my blind meemaw would wear to bingo night. And Miss New Mexico -- aren't you from the chill-out state? Maybe you can channel up some new-age-Whole-Foods-incense calm right about now, because we have a big job ahead called staying alive."
— Libba Bray (Beauty Queens)

Paula:
"I was about half in love with her by the time we sat down. That's the thing about girls. Every time they do something pretty... you fall half in love with them, and then you never know where the hell you are."
- J. D. Salinger (The Catcher in the Rye, spoken by Holden Caulfield)

"It is rare that one can see in a little boy the promise of a man, but one can almost always see in a little girl the threat of a woman."
- Alexandre Dumas

Comments