Book Review: Perigee Moon

Perigee Moon
Published By: Crescent Moon Press
Publication Date: January 12, 2012
Page Count: 264
Source: Kindly Provided by Author
Audience: Young Adult - Paranormal Romance

Witches have long been one of my favorite paranormal groups and I am constantly looking for great witch novels to read. This one has been sitting on my Kindle for awhile, waiting for its chance to be read. I was really excited about this one because it is set in Ipswich, Massachusetts. The name of that town instantly reminded me of the Sons of Ipswich from the movie, The Covenant. I loved that film and its brand of magic so I was already in the right frame of mind to read this one.

I was surprised to see that this novel revolves more around the romance/relationship aspect than the paranormal aspect. Yes, there are witches and yes, there is some sinister paranormal forces at work, but I wanted more of those elements. The romance between Rowan and Alex is sweet and enjoyable, but it felt like these sections of the novel dragged after awhile for me. I got that they had this impossible love - I didn't need to be reminded of that in almost every chapter. I really enjoyed reading this - don't get me wrong - I just wish that there had been more witchy moments.

The characters in this one make it a strong novel. Rowan intrigued me as a heroine. She has so much emotional baggage to sort through and she's also dealing with falling in love for the first time. That is a lot for one girl to handle, but Rowan manages to start piecing herself back together emotionally through the course of the novel. I liked that she started out as a broken, fragile girl, but by the end she was badass, willing to take on pure evil to save the boy she loves. You can't help rooting for her and her happy ending. Likewise, Alex was quite the yummy leading man. He's handsome, loyal, brave, and a witch. What more could you ask for? The supporting characters were also likable. I particularly enjoyed Gram, Bevin, and Tyler.

One of my favorite aspects of this novel was the historical influence. The Salem Witch Trials have long held a fascination for many and I was excited to see how this novel would use history to influence its plot. Tara Fuller did a nice job of researching the era to make sure that things were accurate. The time travel element was something I wasn't expecting, but found myself enjoying more and more as I kept reading. Perigee Moon has components of The Crucible, Twilight, and The Time Traveler's Wife all wrapped up in one entertaining bundle. 

If you're into historical fiction, witches, and sweet romances - then Perigee Moon is a must read. Fuller definitely has a lot of potential as a writer. She is certainly someone I will keep my eye on in the future. Her ability to describe setting and breath life into her characters was impressive.


One Last Gripe: The middle dragged a bit for me. I really liked the beginning and adored the ending so trudging through the middle was well worth it.

My Favorite Thing About This Book: The witch elements

First Sentence: Something changed today.

Favorite Character: Rowan

Least Favorite Character: I didn't really form a strong dislike to any of the characters.



After a horrific fire claims the life of her mother, seventeen year old Rowan Bliss finds herself in the miniscule town of Ipswich, Massachusetts. It's here that she meets Alex, a deliciously mysterious boy who holds the key to unlocking her family's dark secret.As Rowan falls helplessly over the edge for Alex, the secrets that he insists on keeping refuse to be contained. The truth that she uncovers challenges everything she has ever believed. Alex is a witch. And now he's awakened something within her she never even knew existed. But out of all of this, the one thing Rowan won't accept is the fact that Alex is destined to die.Rowan must unearth the buried power she harbors within to escape a deadly prophecy, defy the very laws of time, and prevent the hands of fate from taking yet another person she loves.






Comments

Post a Comment

We love your comments!