Teaser Tuesday: Truest, This Monstrous Thing, The Slow Regard of Silent Things, Mosquitoland, & Book Love


Teaser Tuesday is a weekly feature, hosted by MizB of A Daily Rhythm.


"What? Don't you like the k sounds?" he asked, eyes wide and beatific, and I burst out laughing.

"I've just never heard anyone talk affectionately about plosives."

~ Truest by Jackie Lea Sommers, Kindle Location 462 (ARC)




Clémence stood and I thought she was going to leave, but she reached back across the table and put her hand on top of mine. "You can't make people the way you want them to be, Alasdair. Sometimes you just have to love them how they are."

~ This Monstrous Thing by Mackenzi Lee, Kindle Location 2331




She'd strayed from the true way of things. First you set youself to rights. And then your house. And then your corner of the sky. And after that... 

Well, then she didn't rightly know what happened next. But she hoped that after that the world would start to run itself a bit, like a gear-watch proper fit and kissed with oil. That was what she hoped would happen. Because honestly, there were days she felt rubbed raw. She was so tired of being all herself. The only one that tended to the proper turning of the world.

~ The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss, pg. 93




Every great character, Iz, be it on page or screen, is multidimensional. The good guys aren't all good, the bad guys aren't all bad, and any character wholly one or the other shouldn't exist at all. Remember this when I describe the antics that follow, for though I am not a villain, I am not immune to villainy.

~ Mosquitoland by David Arnold, Kindle Location 60-62




Independent reading is all about capacity building. But beware: some say when we give kids choice about what they read, we've given up on our profession. They say teachers like me, who believe in young adult literature, just don't have the guts or the talent to make The Great Gatsby work for everyone. We can't let them bully us. They're wrong. Independent reading allows students to build stamina so they can read Gatsby. Pretending to read is far more damaging.

~ Book Love by Penny Kittle, pg. 6


Comments

  1. OOoh nice teasers!! Haven't read these but looking forward to This Monstrous Thing! Hope you all enjoy the rest of your reads!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just know that when I get around to reading Patrick Rothfuss, I'm going to love hsis books. This Monstrous Thing sounds like it will be really good too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them all, especially Mosquitoland and This Monstrous Thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like all of them. The first one the most because I want that book. LOL

    Here's my TT - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/08/18/teaser-tuesdays-126-ghosts-among-men/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!